Heart Disease Prevention
School Wellness Program
SWITCH is an innovative school wellness initiative developed to support and enhance school wellness programming. Through SWITCH, schools can help students to "Switch what they DO, View, and Chew!"
Iowa schools are provided with resources, training and support. SWITCH is managed by 4-H Youth Development through Iowa State University Extension and Outreach. The Iowa Heart Center Foundation partners with the SWITCH program by providing financial support for program coordination, evaluation efforts, and heart health lessons to enhance the program.
Heart Health Lessons
Lesson One - Your Heart: What is it and what does it do?
- Describe the anatomy of a heart
- Recall how the heart and circulatory system function
Lesson Two - Maintaining a Healthy Heart
- Recognize exercise reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Connect high blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar with the disease they cause.
Lesson Three - Heart Rate and Exercise Intensity
- Define the different intensities of physical activity and how it affects heart rate and breathing.
- Measure the heart rate at different intensities and identify physical activities of different intensities.
Lesson Four - Heart Health and Stress Management
- Describe the impact stress can have on the heart.
- List strategies that can be used to reduce stress.
Iowa Heart Center Prevention & Wellness Clinic
We are currently supporting the culinary medicine certification for Iowa Heart Center Prevention & Wellness Clinic's registered dietitian.
Recipes from Diane McIlhon, RDN, LD – MercyOne Iowa Heart Center Prevention and Wellness Clinic